Time for a Spring clean – declutter your home and help Age Action
Date Posted: 07.02.2013
Age Action is urging the general public to undertake a Spring clean, and donate their unwanted goods to its charity shops.
The national charity for older people currently has three charity shops which take donations of furniture, clothes, books, shoes, bric-a-brac, rags and many other items.
“We are always looking for new stock, volunteers and, of course, customers!” shops manager Edwina Brady said. “If you'd like to make a donation of stock you can either drop it off at your nearest shop, or alternatively take advantage of collection service which operates within the M50 in Dublin.”
Age Action is encouraging the public to carry out a spring clean around their home, and identify items which could be donated. “There are great benefits as a result of clearing out and decluttering spaces,” Ms Brady said. “Why keep items ‘just in case’ if somebody else can use them now and the money raised will help fund Age Action’s work with some of the most vulnerable of older people in Ireland.”
Here are our top five tips to de-clutter your home:
1. Do a little at a time; try setting aside 15 minutes every few days to start tackling what you have to sort through. Don't try to do too much at one time, or you may find the task too onerous!
2. Take a small box, carrier bag, or bin bag, set yourself a time limit and set about tackling one area that's troubling you.
3. Gather all the unwanted items together and put them aside to donate to Age Action
4. Think as you clear out things and the subsequent items as your charitable donation; share the wealth of things you have, and in so doing contribute to the wider society. Altruism can make you feel good; you're giving something back!
5. Seasonal clothing: will it be good for next year, or will it look dated? Have you outgrown the style or colours? Remember, try to be as ruthless as you can; when was the last time you used the item and are you likely to use it again any time soon?
Vintage items, furniture, clean clothing -- ladies, men’s and children’s, jewellery, handbags, shoes (in pairs), hats and scarves, glassware and table linen, bed linen,
blankets, bedspreads and curtains, books and paintings, records, CD’s and DVD’s, ornaments, mirrors, clocks, collectibles and antiques.
To arrange a viewing/collection contact us on (01) 475-6989/ 087-9295866or email : firstname.lastname@example.org. However, if you want to deliver yourself and visit any of our shops, they are located at:
• 30/31 Lower Camden Street, Dublin 2;
• 48 Upper George’s Street, Dun Laoghaire;
• 31 Glaslough Street, The Diamond, Monaghan Town.