Working as a Home Care Assistant
We welcome experienced applicants and those new to homecare. As Home Care Assistants help people in private homes, we – and the HSE – require you are trained. We will help you through the necessary training. Please do not worry if you have not been in a classroom for a long time or if English is not your first language.
If you have one hour a week free to work or 40 hours on any day of the week or weekend, we want to hear from you.
Personal experience of caring counts and we value life experience. Most of all, we invite kind and compassionate people.
– Permanent contracts with flexible schedule that works for you
– Cpl company pension scheme
– FREE Training
- People Handling course
- QQI Care of the Older Person*
- QQI Care Skills*
- Children’s First, Safeguarding Vulnerable Adults, Induction
– Subsidized Training
- QQI Major 5
– Personal training plan
– Annual Graduation Ceremony
– Supported with HSELand courses
*terms and conditions apply
– 3, 5 and 10 year long service recognition
– Weekly pay
– Earn up to €13 per hour Monday to Saturday
– Earn up to €18 on Sundays and Bank Holidays
– Increase your hourly rate if you choose additional training
– Paid holidays
– Sick pay
– Increase your hourly rate if you complete additional training
– Emergency support number for you and clients 7, days a week.
– Friendly, supportive and expert team
– Group support
– Retail discounts for petrol, beauty, home and garden, entertainment and more (through our parent company Cpl’s group scheme)
– Career progression opportunities within all departments of Private HomeCare and Cpl Healthcare
– Wellness and mental health support
– Home Support Worker of the Month wins €100
– Home Support Worker of the Year wins €150
– Special Recognition Annual Award wins €150
– Home Care Assistant Circle for your feedback
– Regular newsletter to all Home Care Assistants
– Active Facebook group
– Opportunities within all departments of Private HomeCare and Cpl
– Personal training plan
– Active Facebook group
Caring is the most flexible work option, as you choose the location and hours to suit you, from as little as only one hour per week.
Make the first move to your most rewarding job ever by filling out this short form
Join our Home Care Assistant Team
We’re always looking for dedicated professional home care staff. Click on the button below to apply today.
Current Home Care Job Vacancies
What do Home Care Assistants Do?
Companionship, empathy and kindness are at the heart of what it means to be a Home Care Assistants. Home Care Assistants enable people to live independently in their own home.
Responsibilities differ for each client and might include some or all of the following:
- Mobility – assist to stand, walk, transfer to / from bed and bathroom
- Personal Care – wash, shower, dress
- Nutrition – meal prep, shopping list, shopping, assistance to eat
- Medication reminders – prompt only. We do not handle medications
- Light Housekeeping – tidy up
For the 9th year running, Private Home Care (as part of the CPL group) has been recognised as a Great Place to Work 2022 in Ireland
If you are new to caring, this infographic will show you the recruitment and training that you need, step by step as required by the HSE, QQI national training curriculum and Private HomeCare.
New to caring
If you are interested in joining the caring profession as a carer why not train with Private HomeCare? Our QQI courses are national standard accreditation training and are ideal for helping you to launch your career.
Experienced Home Care Assistants
If you have experience of caring professionally or for a loved one at home, our Home Care Assistant training courses can help you to enhance your career.
Qualifications and Experience
To qualify to work as a carer, you must meet the standards of our national government body, the Health Service Executive body (HSE) by completing necessary courses: People Handling course & Children’s First course – find out more here
As Home Care Assistants are entrusted to go into homes and work with people, there are strict policies in place, for everyone’s safety.
We carry out Garda vetting and reference checks. Thank you for your understanding.
- be resident in Ireland
- have a relevant work visa if required
- have a good command of the English language
People Handling course
The first step in this is a People Handling course. This is a one day course that costs €80. Anyone can sign up. There are no computers, no assignments, no work experience and no prep needed! It’s a demonstration and skills course only.
Training takes place in The Lucan Centre, Lucan, Dublin, which is well served by public transport.
Children’s First course
Children’s First is a compulsory course for all Home Care Assistants, even if you are not working directly with children. This is a free online course, offered by the HSE and takes only one hour to self-complete.
As we are Ireland’s premier providers of home care, we are usually very busy. As much as possible, we offer you work in your locality. We also offer flexible hours to accommodate you as best we can.
The majority of our bookings take place during the day and early evening, across seven days. The minimum client time is 30 minutes. Home Care Assistants typically care for several clients in one day.
Yes. Your home location and mode of transport is taken into account when allocating bookings.
Rates vary depending on qualifications, experience and days worked e.g. Sunday, Bank Holidays.
Home Care Assistants are paid weekly, straight into your bank account.
Yes, you can start to work as a Home Care Assistant if you are committed to undertaking the necessary training. We require all new Home Care Assistants to attend our two day induction course. This is free to Private HomeCare approved Home Care Assistants.
Many carers enter the profession based on personal experience. This is very valuable and we welcome your application.
No. When we surveyed customers, their strong preference was for anonymity. However we do have guidelines for health and safety reasons. We also provide gloves and aprons if required.
We welcome applicants from all those interested in caring. If you don’t have experience, we can train you. Please contact us to learn more.