Just Diagnosed with MND ?
Date Posted: 27.03.2012
Who to contact when you are first diagnosed?
Ideally your Consultant Neurologist or GP will refer you to local services provided by the HSE or your local health centre. Services vary from area to area.
Some people aren’t offered a point of contact when they are diagnosed and are left to find their way around a complex system for help and advice. If this is the case, talk to your GP as they should be able to guide you and ensure you can access the services you need.
MND affects people differently. Below is a list of professionals (they can be hospital or community based) and how they can help you.
• Everyday activities /home environment : Occupational therapist
• Swallowing food and drink : Speech & Language Therapist
• Speaking : Speech & Language Therapist
• Coughing : Speech & Language Therapist/ GP
• Nutrition (including weight loss, lack of appetite) : Dietician
• Mobility (e.g. walking, climbing stairs) : Occupational Therapist / Physiotherapist
• Support for you & your family : Social Worker
Source : www.imnda.ie